Mysterious Skin (2004)

Directed by: Gregg Araki
Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Neil), Brady Corbet (Brian), Chase Ellison (young Neil), George Webster (young Brian), Elisabeth Shue (Neil’s mother), Bill Sage (Coach), Chris Mulkey (Brian’s father), Lisa Long (Brian’s mother), Michelle Trachtenberg (Wendy), Jeff Licon (Eric)
Country: United States
Language: English (Eng Subs)
Genres: Rape-Sexual-Violence against Men, Gay, Old-Young, Sci-Fi, Teensploitation

Mysterious Skin follows the experiences of two boys Neil and Brian one summer as 8 year-olds and then picks up when they’re fifteen. That one summer shapes their worldview and future experiences. There is some alien abduction and scifi along the way that seems ridiculous and jarring, but if you stick with it, it all pulls together in the end.

Mysterious Skin is a harsh reminder of the effects of child abuse and a pivotal movie in the genre.

sidney
sidney
March 14, 2020 8:56 pm

this movie rly broke my heart

luke
luke
Reply to  sidney
May 29, 2020 8:12 am

bro….. why am i crying rn………

william richardson
william richardson
Reply to  sidney
June 22, 2022 3:14 pm

same i literally cried when the movie ended

RedArmageddon
RedArmageddon
June 28, 2020 11:12 pm

This movie had my heart tearing apart :,^[
It’s well shot, but it’s heartbreaking, especially the ending dialogue betw/ Neil and Brian (so sad).
I don’t have a fav scene ’cause the movie is just so pretty, idk, but I do like Brian alot !!
I recommand this movie so much, it’s something you have to watch >:^]

Zomo
Zomo
July 14, 2020 8:43 pm

When I say trauma is a bitch, nothing hurts more than remembering the hurt that someone selfishly caused. This movie really made me cry and triggered me but it was a very good movie nonetheless.

Pamela
Pamela
August 3, 2020 10:49 pm

really sad, then makes you mad cause this shit happens. good movie. thanks eum

Chase

Fred Fat
October 14, 2020 9:59 pm

heart breaking

shadyshady
shadyshady
December 9, 2020 7:22 pm

watched this in september. my eyes were welling up at the end, i especially loved the last line said. definately a favourite move of mine now. certain songs remind me of it and i get sad everytime, but in a good way.

Dr Harris
Dr Harris
January 31, 2021 6:18 pm

Excellent work … Not a film is usually bother with but it’s premise seemed worthy of my attention. Very well executed….. And deserves to be seen and learnt from

Cordu
Cordu
March 14, 2021 8:47 pm

Harsh and good. Excelent movie.

lenetra
lenetra
May 27, 2021 7:36 pm

i like this movie

Idekyetfuck
Idekyetfuck
July 18, 2021 3:29 pm

People told me i’d cry. I never cry during movies. I was sad at the end like any normal human but not enough to cry. Then my eyes started watering. I was kind of doing this intentionally to see if it would be cathartic since my tears get built up. However, after the movie was over it got me reflecting on my own life and looking at events in a new light. I’ve never balled harder in my life. Watch this film. If you’ve ever experienced any sort of sexual trauma, it will hit close to home.

Glum.Sullen
Glum.Sullen
Reply to  Idekyetfuck
July 19, 2021 12:45 am

I had the same exact experience when i watched it with my ex-girlfriend a few years ago. She just held me and i wasnt even completely sure why i was crying.

Its honestly pretty comforting knowing that wasnt a unique reaction.

Lotty Da
Lotty Da
October 2, 2021 6:57 pm

Great movie, well acted and well done. Perfect casting. Thanks again, effedup

spitonbaby
spitonbaby
October 3, 2021 9:22 pm

the movie made me speechless, how it struck home rlly badly
it made u feel as if it took your breath for a second, not knowing what to feel it wasnt smtg that makes u cry but one that made u think of what had happened in your past if anyone has been in this situation before

it would made u stop and take some few breath before doing anytg else, theres nothing i could complain about this movie

noonereally
noonereally
December 29, 2021 11:33 pm

Thanks for this one EUM. Been a while since I watched it… needed to see it today ;(

The Eye of Art
The Eye of Art
January 7, 2022 10:16 pm

Not gonna lie, my ass felt uncomfortable the entire time. The visual and narration just made it felt so surreal.

Yeux
Yeux
January 13, 2022 4:50 pm

It is just me, or this movie ended out of nowhere? Like, it needed something more to happen after the last part.

It was a pretty interesting movie, and it shows how a single traumatic event in your childhood can affects your peception of life and your personality in the future, and in a negative way. In this case the trauma those 2 boys suffered from being abused by that pedo scum.

Very interesting.

amira
amira
Reply to  Yeux
June 25, 2022 1:18 pm

i disagree, i think the ending is one of my favorite parts of the film, its suddenness demonstrates that just because they remember and come together and cry about their trauma, it doesnt mean it fades, theyre just together in their understanding of it now, would love to discuss this further tho btw

Dr Harris
Dr Harris
March 4, 2022 5:05 pm

Even better second time round.
A fantastic film. Scary and true aswell sadly.

An_Oldboy
An_Oldboy
March 22, 2022 10:20 am

Wow, this is a well directed film with great acting all round which (imo) was needed as the subject matter is effed up. There is also great attention to detail that adds to the film, from all the 80’s games/toys in the coaches house down to the choice of painting in Zeke’s bedroom. I found this an uncomfortable watch at times but nevertheless it is still a great film. Truly sad and effed up and well worth a watch. Thanks Admin for uploading this film that otherwise I would never have known about. A strong 4.5/5 boxes of cereal.

zaika
zaika
April 2, 2022 7:16 pm

too close to home. most gut wrenching movie on this site. thank you for posting it. hoping all others who commented similarly are safe and healed.

william richardson
william richardson
June 22, 2022 3:13 pm

this movie is litteraly made me cry the story telling is 100% sympathised with both of them the whole time

Visitor Q
Visitor Q
Reply to  william richardson
June 22, 2022 8:07 pm

Hi Willy… I’m just wondering here if by any chance you suffer from acute mental retardation? Because with this name surely tour native language is English so I can only assume the problem is your brain???
I mean no offence, btw

...
...
Reply to  Visitor Q
June 25, 2022 11:29 pm

“tour native language”.. nice one, dum-dum

Visitor Q
Visitor Q
Reply to  ...
June 26, 2022 9:37 am

Really??? Trolling a typo??? Is that the best you can do???
Even retards can do better…

perkele
perkele
Reply to  Visitor Q
June 26, 2022 5:00 pm

you are the retard Q 🙂

...
...
Reply to  Visitor Q
June 26, 2022 5:16 pm

It’s hardly trolling when calling out hypocrisy, but you’re right about the last part, so go take a spelling test and aim for a higher mark…

amira
amira
June 25, 2022 1:16 pm

going through one of the worst episodes of depression and anxiety and reminicing over more trauma than i ever have in my life, dont know if watchin g this is gonna be one of the best of worst decisions of my life

Joey
Joey
Reply to  amira
June 25, 2022 5:27 pm

The world doesn’t revolve around you and your problems, bozo