Melancholie der Engel (2009)

The extended cut which is 6 minutes longer is now available. It’s of a lower viewing quality and has no subtitles: Melancholie der Engel – Extended Cut

AKA: The Angels’ Melancholia
Year: 2009
Directed by: Marian Dora
Starring: Zenza Raggi (Brauth), Carsten Frank (Katze), Janette Weller (Melanie), Bianca Schneider (Bianca), Patrizia Johann (Anja), Margarethe von Stern (Clarissa), Peter Martell (Heinrich)
Country: Germany, European Cinema
Language: German (English Subtitles)
Genres: Bizarre-Surreal, Animals, Violence against Women, Religion, Scat, Insects, Gruesome, Pissing, Self-Harm

Melancholie der Engel is one of those effed up movies that divides opinion. Some consider it a milestone work, others feel it’s an extended pile of bullshit.

There isn’t much of a plot here. A couple of young girls are at some kind of carnival and pursued by two men who convince them to partake in a few days of debauchery at an isolated place. That’s about it, plot-wise. However, there are plenty of effed up scenes involving animals, insects, small creatures like lizards and frogs and of course human pain. But you need to be patient if that’s all you’re in it for, because Melancholie der Engel is a long movie. At over 2 1/2 hours, it can feel longer if surrealistic stuff isn’t something you particularly enjoy.

There are plenty of effed up movies around, but what works for Melancholie der Engel is that it leaves you repulsed while watching it. There’s something about the juxtaposition of grotesque and debauched imagery, locations and scenarios that works well for this. You can get a sense of this right at the start when a shot of fries dipped in ketchup seems repelling because of the imagery around it.

There are plenty of religious motifs and one of the characters, Brauth has been designed to look like Jesus especially in the scene where he rapes Anja. All said, if you have time and patience, it can be a satisfying effed up experience.

Creep
Creep
April 17, 2020 4:48 am

oh my god it’s too long. a little artsy, not really a plot, but the filth is right where it needs to be.

Dee
Dee
June 26, 2020 7:30 am

you’ve got some nunsploitation in this movie as well

Nobody
Nobody
July 22, 2020 1:08 am

This is perhaps the only movie I have seen that I would call disturbing. It is “artsy” as has been mentioned. But it is that good taste which is applied to something so appalling that gives it its impact. It also creates an atmosphere of dread which is more apparent on repeat viewings.

Jessica
Jessica
August 6, 2020 9:08 pm

Amazing movie, extremely memorable yet disturbing. Haven’t seen a movie like this before and don’t think I ever will. The music especially is adequate, it creates irony between the mood and actual content being shown.

Beck
Beck
September 16, 2020 12:35 am

I hate this movie so goddamn much.

WinterKult
WinterKult
November 17, 2020 8:51 pm

This is by far my favorite movie!!! Just a work of pure and impure genius!!!!!! I will say that this is not the sort of film that should be watched when you are just try trying to relax. You have to have your eyes open (it would help to use your 3red eye as well) and use your brain a little with this movie because there is so much going on that you will literally be consumed by a clusterfuck of surrealistic and disturbing imagery, your mind will question whether or not it saw what it believes it saw, or… Read more »

Zed Man
Zed Man
Reply to  WinterKult
November 24, 2020 9:45 am

I saw this on You Tube of all places and it was the full uncut version to my surprise. I must be one of those un-enlightened people the above commenter is talking about because I did not get the point of it at all. To me it was just a mish mash of unintelligible talk without much of a plot, interspersed with some graphic scenes of various bodily functions and gore. I think Marian Dora was tripping on acid when he made this. That is just my view but what do I know? I am not that artsy and cultured.… Read more »

Antinatalpist
Antinatalpist
Reply to  Zed Man
December 10, 2020 2:01 am

This version here and the one on youtube are cut. There is an extended cut available.. but.. even that one is cut. It’s about 5 or so minutes longer than this here version.

Zed Man
Zed Man
Reply to  Antinatalpist
December 10, 2020 8:56 am

Just wondering what else has been cut out of it, there doesnt seem to be anything left that wasnt covered in this version. How much worse can it get? Cheers!

Antinatalpist
Antinatalpist
Reply to  Zed Man
February 18, 2021 12:55 pm

The extended version.. around 6 mins longer does indeed have more effed up in it.

Antinatalpist
Antinatalpist
Reply to  Zed Man
February 18, 2021 1:06 pm

Watch the documentary if you want to know more on the film.

TylerSomething
TylerSomething
December 27, 2020 6:03 pm

Took me awhile to finally watch this movie. I was up-and-about when watching, so I was not very focused. I didn’t get it. I think it is religious, but I’m unsure. I will definitely watch a second time.

fred fat
fred fat
December 29, 2020 9:55 pm

you know when a film is bullshit – when people start calling it artsy or saying you wont understand it
marian dora – more like marian’ll bore ya

Gabrielle archangel
Gabrielle archangel
February 17, 2021 7:01 pm

This film is like nothing I have ever seen before I watched it a year ago one morning out of curiosity ..I was never the same person after watching it …

Winter Melancholie
Winter Melancholie
February 28, 2021 4:32 am

I am in no way surprised that the majority disagree with me and despise this film. It’s actually wonderful that so many hate it because it reminds me that no gold mines have been discovered by mainstream Hollywood and Enlightenment is not at the end of the common artist red carpet. Beauty in its most pure and authentic form is always camolflauged and hidden in the shadows and darkness. If at first you don’t see, look deeper and look at it from a different perspective or through “clear and critically perceptive eyes” Every one of my favorites are despised to… Read more »

HopeThatHelps
HopeThatHelps
Reply to  Winter Melancholie
March 7, 2021 4:58 pm

I can’t disagree on Americans being dumb, but you definitely come across like a self-righteous 16 year old who just discovered non-mainstream films (Donnie Darko and Fight Club are too hardcore for “the normies”? Fucking loooooool). So calm down there buddy, and enjoy what you enjoy without caring what others think. When you get a little older you’ll understand that your intelligence only matters in what you create with it, losers care about what they consume with it.

Cheems
Cheems
March 6, 2021 7:57 am

Any chance of uploading the extended cut?

Nightmarica
Nightmarica
March 7, 2021 7:31 pm

this film is like a 3hr dream sequence in a soap opera commissioned by the devil himself. im about to watch the rest of Dora’s movies this might be my new favorite film maker. absolutely grotesque and gorgeous. its not art fag bullshit in my opinion.

Greasy Strangler
Greasy Strangler
March 19, 2021 6:19 pm

Weird like an acid trip at a funeral..

Amparo
Amparo
March 22, 2021 1:36 am

Omfg this has to be the most hillarious not pun intended movie of all time!i absolutely adore the art,its like if they decided to share the details of life and its filthiness in a superb way!Props to the people who was involved in this shit.This is so magical in a lot of aspects,the director probably planned it so much that it looks like it isnt planned at all,its exactly how he imagined it,every detail.I dont understand anything but i do at the same time,its a “bad dream” at its finest,you would doubt if what you are seeing its part of… Read more »

Paul
Paul
May 29, 2021 11:56 pm

Wow.. okay so 2 hr and 40 minute movie it finished and I still have no idea what just happened… it is a disturbing movie, but not as much as I think people have hyped it up to be… first hour your wondering why your still watching this movie then stuff starts actually happening… it’s very slow, there’s no real plot not that I could decipher, it was just weirdly disturbing, I could see why someone made it as an art project, but that movie has no real plot no character development, it’s honestly just a weirdly disturbing long movie… Read more »

Heelish
Heelish
June 8, 2021 5:34 am

Are there any other movies with Janette Weller (Melanie)? Best act on the movie plus hot af.

Maria
Maria
June 8, 2021 10:09 pm

This movie didn’t do much for me, it’s too pretentious without living up to it own claim. It could be a good film if they made it like 60 minutes long. The scripts is so bad, the dialogue is so uninteresting. The nihilistic theme of this group acting out of some kind of group thinking is an interesting story, too bad it didn’t evolve in that at all. There isn’t much of a story. I guess the camera work is ok, but not that great as some people say. And the music and screaming is repetitive and boring. When it… Read more »

Coronavweerus
Coronavweerus
November 28, 2021 1:03 am

Okay maybe I’m not galaxy-brain enough, but a lot of this just went beyone me. Plenty of disturbing imagery, but lacked enough coherency to be a truly disturbing movie tbh

splenectomy
splenectomy
December 21, 2021 12:29 am

Is there a good breakdown of the meaning of this film someone can recommend?