Funny Games (1997)

Directed by: Michael Haneke
Starring: Susanne Lothar (Anna), Ulrich Mühe (Georg), Arno Frisch (Paul), Frank Giering (Peter), Stefan Clapczynski (Kid)
Country: Austria
Language: German (English subtitles)
Genres: Home Invasion, Family, Torture

One of the greatest home invasion films from a master. This one here is the original German version.

An Austrian family of Mum, Dad and son head to their lake home for the holidays. It’s meant to be a couple of weeks of socializing with similar neighbors and plenty of classical music. Instead, a couple of young men inflict riveting terror and grindcore on the family while also involving the viewer in their fun ‘n games.

Funny Games was remade a decade later in an almost identical US version.

13 thoughts on “Funny Games (1997)

• April 19, 2020 at 6:30 pm

Haven’t seen funny games in years. But I remember liking this version better than the updated version. Love EUM

• July 29, 2020 at 3:22 pm

This movie is one of my favourites, Haneke is a master and in this film you can see it clearly. The ones who hate this film is because they didn’t understand it, they are blinded by the modern violence in movies. What a masterpiece.

• April 26, 2020 at 7:05 am

Maybe breaking the 4th wall in a murder flick was cool at the time but it seems a slight gimick that kinda reduces this a mediocre b-movie slasher.

And the remote control… fucking please.

• April 27, 2020 at 9:39 pm

You missed the point of the movie, good job lol

• August 24, 2020 at 2:45 am

ok i know its been like months but this comment literally hurts me bruh

• August 4, 2020 at 1:14 am

I did not rate this because, like A Girl Next Door, I really can’t stand watching nice people being humiliated. The actress who played the mother was fantastic. So yeah…great acting, great job, great movie, and I hated it!

• August 24, 2020 at 2:46 am

i absolutely loved this movie! it has some cheesiness to it, (namely the remote control scene) yet they’re important enough to the messages and story that it’s not unbearable. it’s an amazing movie at just making you think and question yourself, even if you know the film is fake, you truly have the power to pause and stop their deaths. a wonderful movie, beautifully acted, shot, directed, just perfect!

• September 6, 2020 at 7:37 pm

In this version The German dad looks better than in the American version – which is good! The american actor justlooks silly!

• September 13, 2020 at 11:09 pm

the dad is the most useless character ever, the killers never really revealed who they are and why they chose to do this, and i was left with 0 emotion throughout the whole movie

• September 30, 2020 at 10:03 pm

always has and always will be one of my favourites, thanks for uploading!

• October 15, 2020 at 10:12 am

Bad try, Long, boring, disappointing , weak in compare with Japanese rivals. Don’t see all fascination. And why on earth you make another garbage 10 years later???!!!!!!

• September 19, 2021 at 8:24 pm

One of my favourite films. I love Michael Haneke. I’ve not watched the English speaking remake with Tim Roth. I made that mistake with another one of my fav films ([REC]/Quarantine). It’s never explained why they do what they do which for me is fine. I don’t need plots that explain everything to you. As home invasion films go, this is definitely one of the best.